Doctor Kevin
Doctor Kevin, Ph.D.
Experience:  24 years in a private practice
16903060

My friend and I are no longer together Can we be friends

Customer Question

My friend and I are no longer together? Can we be friends? I have tried talking to him but I dont think he wants anything else to do with me?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  psychlady replied 5 years ago.

Anybody can be friends but both partners have to be motivated and the ability to be receptive to changing such a relationship. It takes time and attention to really make this transition. You may see that this can work but if it doesn't then it is best to let it go. He may not be receptive for many reasons. In the end they are not important. What is important is that he wants to move on. You can't be the only one interested in being friends. Most times people do not remain friends. There is too much history and the feelings just can't make this transition. For some people it is just too painful or they are too angry. I would let him have his peace and move on. You have to respect his wishes and he is more typical of a couple that doesn't work.

If this is helpful press accept

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert:  Doctor Kevin replied 5 years ago.
I am sorry to hear that you and your friends are not together. It sounds like you have tried and he has made clear that he does not want to be with you. Sometimes relationships are not meant to work out but they're meant to teach you something about yourself and other people. It would be important for you to understand the reasons why he does not want be with you and see if those are things that you may be able to change so the next relationship with a better. That is how we obtain closure on our relationship and are able to better ourselves so that next relationship can be more positive.

I see that you are off line. I hope this answers your question to your satisfaction. If so, please remember to click on the green accept button so that I will receive credit for my response. You may return to this answer for reference at any time after you accept.