psychlady, Counselor
Experience:  I have over 16 years experience in treating adults presenting with a variety of relationship issues

I just spent the lat 2 1/2 years working very hard to earn

I just spent the lat 2 1/2 years working very hard to earn an associates degree in criminal justice. Unfortunatly there are not alot jobs where I live. Every job available opening is either miniumum wage,in fast food, in retail, had no benefits, no future. There are alot of job opening withing the state an county but they require a Bachelores degree. All I need to earn a BA is probably another two years of school, 2 1/2 at the most if I have trouble getting the classes I need. The problem is that my husband does not want me to keep going to school. He get mad every time I mention it. I dont get it. I am halfway there. I dont get it. But we get ina hige fight evertime I mention it. I know that if I put my foot down and say I am doing it he will jut make my life miserable the whole time and not be supportive. I have looked into online schools and thr tuition is twice as high as the college located where I live and it makes no sense pay double to get the same education I can get right by my home and pay double the price. Its not liek I am working right now and have no time. Like I said, there are no jobs. I am so dpressed thinking about the fact that I worked so hard and all I am going to get to do now is work retail or fast food. I dont know what to do.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  psychlady replied 5 years ago.

You don't have to feel so disappointed. There is a solution. The key is finding out WHY your husband is so fearful or unsupportive of your going to school. If he loves you there has to be another reason. He for instance may feel that you will surpass him and think less of him or even want someone else. He may not see the value of an education. Or he may see it as time away from him. I don't know what the reason is but there is one. When you identify that and resolve it then you solve your problem. He has to do this. He may not know either. Have him imagine you going to school - all the way -- and what makes his fearful. Work around that fear until you resolve it.

If this has been helpful press accept

P.S. Check into Canyon College. They are the cheapest online school around