psychlady
psychlady, Counselor
Experience:  I have over 16 years experience in treating adults presenting with a variety of relationship issues

Ill try to be short, factual but complete...

Customer Question

I'll try to be short, factual but complete...However, I am a bit of an emotional mess right now. My husband's 50, I just turned 44. We've been married for 14 years, the second for both. Opening up and talking about sexual things on a 'general level' as in "what I like, what you like, what kinks turn us on, etc" are fine. Acting them out, not a problem..However, talking at a deeper level about intimacy isn't easy. Up until about 18 months ago, our sex life was full and seemingly satisfactory for us both. My husband seemed to have a 'normal' arousal level for him, no major changes...ebbs and flows depending on the situation (and outside factors) and there were occasions of needing more direct stimulation to achieve erection. 18 months ago, I discovered that he'd joined 2 online singles/hook-up sites (for fetishists) and had really complete profiles of the type of woman he wanted for him/us. He blatantly lied about them, was defensive, etc. It took quite a few months for me to be able to regain any level of trust. Those events may not be important to what's going on now for him, but they are for me because I don't trust what he tells me. (Fast forward) I'm pre-menopausal and have noticed changes in my body over the last 6 months or so that affect how I respond sexually. Such as, I've noticed that how my breasts are touched: things that used to arouse me now annoy me/shut me down. I've ignored addressing it verbally because overall, sex is satisfying. I do, however, in the moment, use redirection, change in movement, whatever, to communicate. However, there was an intimate encounter back in June that left me feeling as if I were simply "handy" and whatever was going on in his mind, it wasn't me...he wasn't "present" with me (he was performing oral sex). I know we both fantasize sometimes during sex, that's no biggie...but I've never felt so "alone" and even direct hints of "ouch" didn't change his behavior in the moment. So I screwed up my courage and addressed that along w/ my changing body. Since then, our sex life hasn't been all that great. Sex has become somewhat arduous and I've been afraid to open my mouth again since I see a direct correlation between that 'talk' and now. I knew he was now having performance anxiety because I opened my big mouth. Yesterday, there was an absolute 'failure to launch' and although he kept saying, "it's not you, it's me", one of the things that came out of the conversation was that he can't talk about what's going on w/ him mentally and he threw it in my face that if I'd opened up "in the moment" instead of a laundry list (that he requested), maybe he wouldn't be having problems. Honestly, I think he's bored with me but is too emotionally attached to be honest about needing to find outside stimulation. I'm more hurt and devastated that he won't talk to me about it.

**Edited to add actual question(s)** How am I supposed to trust him as he's not been honest in the past and refuses to be open and honest with me now? How can I possibly support him 'working through' something that he won't talk about? I'm angry and hurt and feel that it's all very personal and that there's something 'about me' that is at the root of this.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  psychlady replied 2 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can see that my original jumbled post left a lot of the details out and I can see where that led to a lot of conclusion jumping. Let me see if I can clarify my "issues" and fill in a few blanks.

My issue is I'm left in the dark and don't really know what's going on. (Therefore, I know it's easy for me to imagine the worst case scenarios.) However, all attempts to communicate and "let's deal with this together instead of either of us living in our own heads/with our own fears", is avoided by my partner.

It isn't *I* who believes the sexual problem experienced last weekend to be a 'major problem'. He is the one making dire pronouncements and yet won't discuss why he thinks this.

There are a number of very personal and very real reasons why he won't consider counseling for himself nor for our marriage.

What I'm looking for is some way to set aside what I know to be true (actual facts) and how I see him shutting me out...so I can be supportive, open and approachable (and remain hopeful).
Expert:  psychlady replied 2 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!