psychlady, Counselor
Experience:  I have over 16 years experience in treating adults presenting with a variety of relationship issues

My boyfriend (who is 12 yrs younger) and I have a 4 year old

My boyfriend (who is 12 yrs younger) and I have a 4 year old boy. We have been together for 5 yrs. He always is telling me he is going to leave me someday soon (this started the first year we where together) because I am to old, fat, not smart enough for him, sex is boring and I am just not what I used to be body wise. For some reason I love him. I try so hard to be the best I can be but it is just not enough. I worry about what my son hears when he is say these things to me. What should I do? I don't know how much more I can take. I don't even like looking at myself in the mirror any more. Help.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  psychlady replied 5 years ago.

You should end this today. He is verbally abusive and destroying your self esteem. He doesn't love you and most important he doesn't respect you. If you don't leave your child is going to think that this is the way to treat a woman and he is going to not respect you either. You will teach your child that this is how a couple interacts. You need to leave today. He has told you what the situation is. What you are staying around for is a mystery. You need to find a plan and put it in action. This is a toxic relationship and it serves no purpose. You have to know that this is not normal. You shouldn't take any more. This is enough. No one deserves to be treated like this. You are destroying your sense of independence. You have to find it again. Plan right now to move on. He will not change. Abusers never do. Right now you are his whipping post. Change that! You can do it.

If this has been helpful press accept