psychlady, Counselor
Experience:  I have over 16 years experience in treating adults presenting with a variety of relationship issues

My boyfriend and I have been living together for about 7 months.

My boyfriend and I have been living together for about 7 months. We just moved from one part of the state to the other because he got an amazing new job, and I had to move my entire business and hire new people, which has been really stressful. He used to freelance from home, so we were at home together all day, but now he is gone from 9 to 5. In the past few weeks I've been developing panic attacks and incredible anxiety, and I've been going to see a counselor as well as a psychiatrist who's put me on Zoloft to help. However, I'm still experiencing a ton of anxiety and it always focuses on my personal relationships (I've had this problem all my life). My boyfriend is being supportive by encouraging me to get professional help, took me out to dinner all last week because I didn't feel well enough to cook, took me out to a theme park last weekend to make me feel better, and made me dinner. I've been talking to him a lot about my psychological problems, but lately he's been asking me to not to bring it up very much because it's stressing him out a lot. I think he is doing what we can to help me, but because I keep bringing things up over and over again, it's starting to get to him. Do you have any advice for the situation?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  psychlady replied 5 years ago.

It sounds like your anxiety is carrying over into your romantic life. Sometimes when we are anxious we tend to brings things up repeatedly or have a constant need for reassurance. You both play a role in this. It is a little concerning that he doesn't want to talk about this because your best outlet besides your psychiatrist is your closest relationship. I do understand his point but this is still not being as supportive as possible. It is great that he looks out for you. I would also engage in other means to reduce your anxiety. Try things like journaling or written means to resolve intense concerns that can be reduced through finding outlets that you find pleasing. Continue with professional services but focus also on finding outlets yourself that can practiced between sessions.

If this has been helpful press accept