Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.

Hello I am terribly insecure and have been cheated on in a

Hello I am terribly insecure and have been cheated on in a past relationship. My boyfriend of 1 year is charming good looking and outgoing. He has a past of being with a lot of other women and loves to party and drink. I found pictures on his phone a few months ago of girls and confronted him about it. He says his friend sent them to him. I also found a picture of a girld in a bikini sitting on him at We Fest on his phone and he had his hand on her stomach he claims nothing happened and said that was just a girl camping near by. He is a We Fest again now and I am a mess. I have no appetite and cant stop crying I clearly dont trust him. What do I do? Im thinking about ending the relationship to stop the emotional pain but I do love him and he says he loves me and would never do anything to hurt me. I texted him today telling him that I was having a hard time with him at We Fest and he replied I am having a good time with my friends is that a crime? I feel like he doesnt know what I am going through and doesnt care.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 5 years ago.
Seeking expert testimony is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective

Dear friend,

You are going through a lot because basically, you know in your hear that your boyfriend is a big party animal, and like most guys on a three-day bash like that, will be trying to meet women. He is a lady's man and that is what he does and will do, I believe. He tells you what you want to hear, but that will not stop him if he has the opportunity. And if he is good looking, he WILL have the oppportunity. Three days of music, partying, drinking and freedom to be among equally party-hungry strangers is not like going to bible college.

You will continue to have this emotional pain as long as you are with him, I believe, judging from much past professional experience with similar situations. He will not tell you what is going on, and only reassure you, because he does like to have you as his main girlfriend. You are sweet and trusting.

You have to decide for yourself whether or not you want to hang on to him. You probably aren't done with him yet, but if this continues, you will probably move on with your life.

The kind of guy you would prefer would go to the festival with you and enjoy the music together with you, and your company, above all.

Ride it out as long as you can. If you can not longer hold on, let go. You will land on your feet. You deserve to be somebody's precious woman and not anything less.

Warm regards,

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC