psychlady
psychlady, Counselor
Experience:  I have over 16 years experience in treating adults presenting with a variety of relationship issues
52358615

Im after realising that I lean on my friends too much by telling

Customer Question

I'm after realising that I lean on my friends too much by telling them my problems.I recently had a very good friend who blank because of my "drama".I suffer from paranoia and anxiety that have been getting worse recently. I'm not in a good place and I've been told I wont be able to see a psychologist for another 8 weeks. What should I do?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  psychlady replied 5 years ago.

You should not worry too much about confiding in friends although I understand your concern. If they have not said anything then it may not bother them that you confide in them. If they have said that it is a problem then you know that is a problem. I would choose one or two that are the closest to you. As far as seeing a professional, unless you are a new patient you shouldn't have to wait this length of time. You may have to consider going somewhere else. Different facilities have different rules. I would just do my research before I wait that amount of time. Consider finding a practice that has therapists avialable.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I come from Ireland so our health system is different to the US. Waiting that amount of time is normal if refereed through your GP. I don't have the money to go private. And in relation to the friends, I did choose two. One stopped being friends with me because I didn't feel the same way and the other more recently blanked me and waited 3 month to send an email stating that they had a lot going on and we had nothing in common any more and maybe it was the drama. ie it was me leaning on her. I'm starting to feel like a burden to all my friends and everyone around me. What do I do?
Expert:  psychlady replied 5 years ago.
You need to find supports that eliminate your anxiety because you genuinely feel that you are burdening others. I am at a disadvantage now that I know you are so far away but you need to hook up with an organizations that offers peer support. There are organizations for certain mental disorders; there are hotlines where you can call to talk. Those can be very helpful. Sort of like a suicide hotline but to a lesser degree. There are churches with clergy. There is just getting involved with activities that expand your social supports. Any activity that you find positive helps. But really research the charitable or nonprofit solutions like the hotlines or groups for those with mental health issues are helpful