MrsRuss0114, LCSW
Experience:  B.A.Psychology, MSW, LCSW, HS-BCP; 8+ yrs experience.

I had an online relationship with someone who lives a few hours

Customer Question

I had an online relationship with someone who lives a few hours away for several months. We finally had a breakthrough where we both revealed a strong interest in each other that neither of us throught was reciprocated. He said he wanted to put that and any games aside and give a relationship a try, so we set a date. Due to each of us having plans for upcoming weekends, the date was set several weeks out. He was going to come to my city. We were set up to see when each other was online and communicated primarily through IMs. He initiated the last chat with a comment about not having seen me in a week. We had a nice chat with talk of our upcoming date and future dates. Then he disappeared. He stopped answering my IMs, but I finally got a response to an e-mail wherein I asked him point blank whether were still on for what was at that point the upcoming weekend. He said unfortunately that weekend wouldn't work, but we'd have to chat soon and find one that would. I've thought alot about the situation since then and finally concluded that miscommunication could have been to blame. For that reason alone, I sent him an e-mail a couple of days ago telling him that if something I did nor did not do gave the impression I had lost interest, that wasn't the case. I told him I'd like to hear from him. He read the e-mail the day I sent it, but hasn't responded in the two days since I sent it. Should I just give up?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  MrsRuss0114 replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thank you for choosing just answer, I look forward to assisting you.

I don't think you should give up just yet; give him a little more time to respond. If you don't hear from him in about a week, if you choose you can send a courtesy email kind of like a last chance email for him to respond. If he doesn't then I would say not to put any more time or effort until he responds. During that time, if you meet other people, you should be open to seeing where that goes and not close yourself off to those possibilities. May things could be happening for this guy preventing him from responding in a timely manner so giving him the benefit of the doubt before you wash your hands of the situation.

**If you found this information helpful, please press accept, positive feedback is appreciated. I am glad to continue to talk with you more about this matter if desired.