MrsRuss0114
MrsRuss0114, LCSW
Experience:  B.A.Psychology, MSW, LCSW, HS-BCP; 8+ yrs experience.
56136667

I have liked someone for five years

Customer Question

I have liked someone for five years but I am too shy and when I met him a relationship would have been wrong, since he was a teacher at the high school I was attending, but I was never his student. He is 10 years older than me and is single with no children. I can't get him out of my mind though. Now I have finished my first year of college, so I have not seen him for a year, but my feelings are the same. A friend said he was still single and I was wondering if there was anyway to form a relationship with him. I don't know too much about him and during high school I avoided him a lot since I was shy and because I did not want to get close to him because I knew I would just get hurt. But now I am 20 and he is 30 and I want to see if there is any chance that we could get together. I don't know how to go about trying to get closer to him since I've only ran into him 3 times since I graduated, or if going after him is the right choice. He is a shy person, like me, and he lived with his mother until he was 26, and I'm sure that he has not been in many relationships. Most people that I've met that know him think he is odd and a geek, but I adore those qualities. He walks funny and talks in a higher pitch, but I like it. I really like him.

My question is should I go after a relationship with him, and if so what should I do to get closer to him. As I said I am attending college and my major is science education, because I have always wanted to be a science teacher, and he teaches biology so we have that in common.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  MrsRuss0114 replied 4 years ago.

Russ0114 : Hello and thank you for choosing just answer, I look forward to assisting you.
Russ0114 : If you really like him, the next time you see him, you can usethe fact that the both of you have Science in common. Maybe ask him if he'd be willing to talk with you about classes as a way to break the ice. At this point, you're an adult so there should be no reason that if the two of you are interested in one another that you can't pursue a relationship. You have to prepare yourself for the possibility that he may be uncomfortable with it because of the former student/teacher dynamic but if you don't at least try, you'll never know. Social media is also another great way to break the ice.
Russ0114 : If this information was helpful press accept, feedback is welcomed and appreciated.
Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX into him will be a problem. The times I did see him was just luck. Are there any other options other than just waiting to run into him?

Russ0114 : You may have to try social networking sites (Facebook, linkedIn, twitter, myspace)
Customer:

Yeah, but he has his profile set up to where no one can ask to be his friend on facebook, and he doesn't have the others.

Customer:

Plus I don't think he ever gets onto those things, he is not that kind of person.

Russ0114 : You may be able to send him a message and if so that may be your best option in trying to connect with him.
Customer:

Yeah, that could work. However it seems like there is not good way for this to work out. I don't want to be annoying to him, but I just can't help liking him. I wished that this situation was different but it is not and I have to deal with the reality of it.

Russ0114 : It's unfortunate if you don't really see a way for you two to interact but you never know, it may happen when you least expect it.
Customer:

I guess I should stay hopeful, I mean I have waited this long right!

Russ0114 : Right and you never know what can happen!
Customer:

Well thanks for your help, I have never asked anyone about this, since it is odd to say you like a teacher who you never had and the fact that he is 10 years older is a huge issue for most. I really hope that I can see him, but if I don't I just wish him happiness. He is a great person who is misunderstood and as long as he is happy then I will be.

MrsRuss0114, LCSW
Experience: B.A.Psychology, MSW, LCSW, HS-BCP; 8+ yrs experience.