Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Counselor
Experience:  PHD LPC
14832673

Ive been with my partner for 7 years but am increasingly becomming

I've been with my partner for 7 years but am increasingly becomming more and more unhappy in the state of our relationship. He recently returned to university but has been unable to finish his exams as he has been feeling depressed and has now begun receiving councelling for it. He doesn't really socialise unless I push him to and doesn't seem to feel the need to get a job. For the past year I have been providing most of the money that we live on and am becomming more and more bitter about what i percieve to be the lack of appreciation of my sacrifices from him. We are constantly fighting but nothing changes. I feel like we should break up or at least take a break but I can't imagine my life without him. He's not only my partner but my best friend. Also we live together and it is his parents property and I would have to move out of the place I consider home which is another upheaval. Do you have any advice?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr. Keane replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Keane :

Hi, I can help you today

Customer:

Hi

Dr. Keane :

Are you unhappy because you are feeling you are doing most of the "work" in the relationship? Have you ever considered therapy for the two of you?

Customer:

I have considered it but it never seemed like the right thing and money is tight as it is

Dr. Keane :

If you can't imagine your life without him then I would suggest counseling. It is a good way to discuss your problems without fighting and you will both learn how to communicate and listen to one another so that you can avoid the fights and find solutions. It will not be a forever commitment, a few sessions would be well worth your investment.

Customer:

Thanks I will

Dr. Keane :

If he is depressed he isn't capable of showing much of anything, is he just in counseling or is he on medication? also,

Customer:

Just counselling and that has only just started

Dr. Keane :

he may need medication as well as counseling.

Dr. Keane :

wait a bit and see how he responds to his counseling and couples counseling. If his therapist feels the need for medication he/she will tell him.

Customer:

I will thanks

Dr. Keane :

please accept my answer when you are satisfied so I get credit. good luck