Dr Rossi
Dr Rossi, Licensed Psychotherapist
Experience:  Certified Hypnotherapist, Author, 13+years of experience.
19260254

I was in a mantally abusive Marriage for 26 years and fell

Customer Question

I was in a mantally abusive Marriage for 26 years and fell into an affair with man that I thought understood and respected me ( after 5 months of flirting and talking) this quickly turned into a sexual and mental abusive relationship as well! unfortunately I did not realize it until he dumped me 1 year later. How do I get over this and ever have a normal loving relationship? Right now I have very low self esteem and very little respect for myself.

Thank you
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr Rossi replied 5 years ago.

It would be helpful if you're able to utilize your counselor as much as you can and that means being open. There is no judgment placed and the counselor is there to help you get through this.

You may be attracted to the same/similar type of men and may not be even aware of it. Some individuals do it subconsciously in an attempt to recreate a failed relationship from their past. It may even go as back as recreating or getting affection and approval by someone you may have not had such as a father, grandfather, authority figure you were idolizing or first love.

It is possible to move on and to heal, and it takes time and your effort. You may want to connect with some online free support groups to bounce ideas off of others with similar issues. Journaling and bibliotherapy and other self help tools are also something to look into depending on what you want to do.

When the Past Is Present: Healing the Emotional Wounds that Sabotage our Relationships by David Richo (Paperback)

Self-Esteem Affirmations by Louise L. Hay (Audio CD)

Recovery of Your Inner Child: The Highly Acclaimed Method for Liberating Your Inner Self by Lucia Capacchione (Paperback)