Dr Rossi
Dr Rossi, Licensed Psychotherapist
Experience:  Certified Hypnotherapist, Author, 13+years of experience.
19260254

In relationship for 6 months. Having difficulty getting along

In relationship for 6 months. Having difficulty getting along because of things he watches on videos, (i.e., 911 conspiracy, ancient aliens, the Secret) and I do not subscribe to many of his interests and yet he continues to talk about them or get me to show interest or he runs me down as non-listener, non-caring, close minded, etc. How can we avoid conflice?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr Rossi replied 3 years ago.

In any relationship there ought to be some compromise/flexibility from both partners. You may want to let him know that you could watch a show here and there and that there will be times you'd like him to watch something that is of interest to you.

Even when in a solid relationship, neither partner is required to give up their autonomy for the other. What makes relationships work, is when both partners are willing to be flexible to an extent. If you feel that he expects you to do what he wants 24/7 then that is not respectful to you and does not take under consideration your own interests.

You may want to look up the symptoms of schizotypal personality disorder (click here) to see if he exhibits any of the symptoms listed and what the prognosis for this condition is. A person can have some traits and still not meet criteria for diagnosis.

Dr Rossi, Licensed Psychotherapist
Experience: Certified Hypnotherapist, Author, 13+years of experience.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Another issue is I have a 13 y/o son who he has tried to tell what to do. We never discussed it. My son and I have been together for 11 years alone, I've never introduced someone in to my home before (spending the night). He (Don) is very strict but doesn't say much to my son but tells me how I should raise him. He has 2 daughters, 12 and 14 who live in Vegas. He has seen the oldest 2 years ago and before that it was 10 years! His brother is a cocaine and alcohol addict with no job and a crashed truck. My family has issues too, but I have chosen to get counseling over the years and I have a daughter who became bi-polar at 23, she's 30 now. Should I give up on him if I cannot get him to agree to go to couples counseling. I think we both need help in being kind to each other and not letting past triggers hurt our relationship. Your helps is so greatly appreciated. Than you Pam.

Expert:  Dr Rossi replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I thought I got to ask you a number of questions for the $23 for a period of time. I did not realize it was each time you responded. I'll pay the additional $23 if I have to. Thanks for your help and please see that I am not charged anymore fees. Appreciate the advice

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Expert:  Dr Rossi replied 3 years ago.
I will send your info to the administrators as experts are free lancers (we do no charge clients) and get credit for out work only when someone accepts each answer.