Dr. Norman Brown
Dr. Norman Brown, Marriage Therapist
Experience:  Family Therapist & teacher 35+ yrs; PhD research in couples

looking to go to graduate school and getting my masters in

looking to go to graduate school and getting my masters in MFT in new york. anyone practice in the NY area? i been reading mixed reviews about the field. Some stating that NY doesnt accept insurence for a MFT.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr. Norman Brown replied 5 years ago.

nphbrown :

What sources have you consulted about MFT insurance acceptance? You'll need to understand that the mental health insurance arena is a thicket of different approaches from different insurance companies and state and federal agencies. It's true that the federal SS disability program does not reimburse MFTs or Licensed Mental Health or Licensed Professional Counselors, but does reimburse

nphbrown :

LCSWs and PhD Psychologist licensees.

thank you for confirming my research, I do accept your answer but wanted your opinion, do you think in the near future insurence will recoginze these various groups? Is it true that most MFT work privately and part-time? to think, that I will be working hard towrads a gradute degree and my career will not be in high demand is discouraging.