psychlady, Counselor
Experience:  I have over 16 years experience in treating adults presenting with a variety of relationship issues

I am a 52 year old female in a 4 year long distance relationship.

I am a 52 year old female in a 4 year long distance relationship. We see each other on the week end. I want more. He says he doesnt want to get married and cant move right now due to finances. (He's retired. I have a job here.) He says he wants to live with me at some point but can't tell me when his finances will allow the move. He's a good kind man who "gets " me. I want our relationship to work but I feel like I'm still single. What can I do?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  psychlady replied 5 years ago.

You both really need to make the relationship even more of a priority by being apart. If you wanted time on the weekend you would make it happen. You have to make plans that put the relationship first. It's hard but you have to keep other things from interfering with seeing each other. Plan special activities that make that quality time and encourage romance. Be creative.

when not together, post special messages to each other and find other ways to make each other special. You have to find ways to let the printed word speak for you. Don't allow not getting married make it any less special. See if he being retired can plan things that you both can find enjoyable.

Make sure he knows that you struggle with the distance and see how he reacts to your concerns. He may surprise you. Discuss your feelings and see where he stands. Come together to make both your needs a priority.

If this was helpful press accept