psychlady
psychlady, Counselor
Experience:  I have over 16 years experience in treating adults presenting with a variety of relationship issues
52358615

I moved too quickly with my boy friend and let him get close

Customer Question

I moved too quickly with my boy friend and let him get close to my son. He seemed perfect. Even my family all loved him! Him and my 9 year old son became best friends. Just the other night he and I got in an argument over several things that he had been bottling up and he broke up with me. It is 100% final. No chance of either of us changing our minds. We were only together for 2 months but we were very close. We spent almost every day together as a family. He has been gone for 2 days now and my son hasn't asked anything. I figured I at least needed to get over some of the hurt myself before I tell him anything. My question is, do I just wait until he asks or should I set a time for us to talk about it. Also, do i just tell him that my x is busy and can't be with us now (not exactly a lie but aviodance) or do I sit down and tell him that sometimes people break up? I know that I don't want him to feel like it is his fault or that he is being abandoned (even though he is). I just don't know what to say or when to say it. Please help?!?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  psychlady replied 5 years ago.
Your handling of the exhusband situation was excellent. Use some of that logic here. I would explain to him that you and boyfriend have chose to be just friends so he will be living elsewhere. Assure him that he will be thinking of the both of you. Let him know they are good friends but may not be "hanging out" anymore. He will do fine in moving past this. It will teach him that relationships change