psychlady
psychlady, Counselor
Experience:  I have over 16 years experience in treating adults presenting with a variety of relationship issues
52358615

I have been in a relationship for almost 3 years and I feel

I have been in a relationship for almost 3 years and I feel like I've disconnected myself from my boyfriend. The first 2 years were great but after we moved in together things started going south. I moved to the opposite side of town to be with him and because of his business he would not be able to do the same for me. I feel like we are going in different directions. He wants to go out every weekend and hang with his friends (with me too) when I just wouldn't mind hanging in with him for the night. I realize if we were to get married I would never be able to have a combined checking account that we both contribute to because we see money completely different. And it seems like he never wants to have a serious conversation about life and what he wants. I'm just wondering by seeing these things now, if I should keep trying at this or move on.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  psychlady replied 3 years ago.
You should move forward if you see both of you having the ability and desire to compromise. If you are polar opposites, that can work too if you are willing to come together when it counts. If there is no compromise, there is no chance that this will work. Any relationship requires compromise but especially one where people are very different. Opposites have successful relationships all the time so figure how to work out your differences. It takes time and dedication. If you feel the behaviors and wishes for you are so different that you can't find compromises and this will make you unhappy then you may find either couples counseling or a plan to move on,
psychlady, Counselor
Experience: I have over 16 years experience in treating adults presenting with a variety of relationship issues