Dr.G.
Dr.G., Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist in the state of Minnesota
15682972

My boyfriend and I have been together for over a year. We fight

Customer Question

My boyfriend and I have been together for over a year. We fight a lot. Every a few month he either breaks up with me or just dissappies for a while and every single time he comes back saying that he loves me and he can't live without me. When we fight he completely shuts down and becomes like a stranger. Before I used to think he doesn't care about me but now I know that's not true . He's a very good person and I know he loves me and cares about me. When things are good he's amazing but when it's bad it's really bad. I also have to admit that a lot of times I'm at fault. The way I am I experess my feelings when im upset or angry but I also forget about it very easily. He's exactly the opposite. He's also under a lot of stress from his work. He has his own business and all he does is work. I remember a few month ago he went to doctor and said he was told his brain hormones are imbalance and he needs to take medication but he never went back to the doctor. I've been doing some research lately and by putting everything together I think he might be bipolar. He's pushing me away again and says he can't handle it and needs to focus on work. I know he's gonna come back eventually but i can't imagine going through this again. Whenever I try to make him come around he gets more distance. I just don't know what to do.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr.G. replied 6 years ago.
You break up with him and move on to the next guy and the next guy and the next guy until you find someone you get along really well with and there is minimal fighting within the first year of dating. You are hanging on to this relationship too long. It is called dating for a reason and not marriage. This is a toxic relationship that needs to end. So end it already and move on with your life.