psychlady, Counselor
Experience:  I have over 16 years experience in treating adults presenting with a variety of relationship issues

Hello, I have a friendship related question. One of my best

Hello, I have a friendship related question. One of my best friends' brother recently moved to town, and she asked if there were any apartments available in my complex. when one became available, i immediately let her know (i was busy at work and wasn't really paying attention, unfortunately). I soon realized that the unit available was right next door to mine -- meaning we would share a very think wall -- and i let her know that i was concerned about this, and i needed to think about it before i forwarded the building manager her information. now she is bummed -- her brother is living with her and having trouble finding an affordable apartment. any advice? am i being ridiculous? they are showing the apartment today -- so i need to let her know immediately. it just seems complicated to have someone move in next door! thanks so much. --- female tenant
Category: Relationship
Expert:  psychlady replied 5 years ago.
I think that you should help her out if you think that this closeness is not too big a deal. Both of you are friends so you should be able to discuss your concerns and compromise regarding any issues. You are being a friend by letting her know about your building and there is nothing wrong with that. If for some reason you think this will jeopardize your friendship then let it go. She will find her way. As you can see the ultimate decision is yours but is based largely on whether this will harm the friendship.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i think you may have misunderstood... just to make sure we're on the page, i barely know her brother. it's not her that's moving in, it's her brother. i was trying to help him out (before i knew it we would share a wall!). so... the privacy issue could be a problem. i have had to talk to the current tennant a couple of times about noise -- i would feel even more awkward telling my friend's brother. but now i feel like a bad friend to her and her brother.
Expert:  psychlady replied 5 years ago.
Oh I misunderstood.The noise thing sounds very touchy. This can be embarrassing with the best of circumstances. Don't feel like a bad friend. It isn't your responsibility to solve her housing problem. If you think at all that there will be concern or anxiety related to his moving so close, then make an excuse and move on. This is his problem; he is grown let him find his own apartment. Being a friend doesn't include living so close to her brother. Let her down gently. She will be fine