Kristin
Kristin, Counselor
Experience:  Psychotherapist and Relationships Expert with 11+ years exp. Dating, Relationships, Marriage.
45544450

I just started dating a woman I have known since we both were

Customer Question

I just started dating a woman I have known since we both were in elementary school. We were not friends ,but she was not a stranger. We have been dating since August , 2010. I am 63 and she is 62. At this age how can I tell if she really loves me? Are we too old to be in love? She says she does , but how can I be sure? What are the things I should look for ?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Kristin replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question.

There isn't much difference at your age to be able to know if she really loves you, versus a younger age. She would verbalize it and demonstrate it. Treat you with kindness and compassion, care about your needs and dreams, be there for you, make time for you, etc. Are these things happening?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes she is doing the things you stated, but is this enough for me to believe that she loves me? are there other things I can look for?
Expert:  psychlady replied 3 years ago.
I agree with prior expert that it is the same for all ages. I think as you get older though there is a more companionship type love that is present. I think there is less of that passion that young love has and more of a very comfortable feel to love; I feel it is less obvious than with young love. It is every bit as fulfilling however. You have to ask yourself that at a older age does this relationship fulfill the needs that you consider important in a loving relationship. That you can answer on your own. Try to figure out if your concept of love is being satisfied. You belief should come from whether or not you are happy. Decide what you need and if this relationship brings those qualities forward. Look for whatever qualities make you happy
Expert:  Kristin replied 3 years ago.

Hello again,

This is Kristin...the expert who responded to your question at the beginning. I do think that this is "enough" to believe that she loves you. However, what is more important than what I think, is how it feels to you. If she is doing these things, that is putting love "into action" and it's not just talk. Other things to look for is that she is fairly consistent in her actions and feelings towards you, and that you she seems to enjoy your company, and care about your feelings, etc.

Other than this (combined with the things she is already doing and showing), you don't really need to look for more evidence. Simply believe what is happening in the present time. Otherwise, you risk not being present in the relationship, if you are always wondering and/or questioning her love for you.

Simply accept what she gives to you as it sounds quite good, and trust that it's real. There is no evidence (at all) that would suggest otherwise. Keep that in mind, when you start to have these doubts, that the evidence does indicate that yes, she cares about you and is sincere. Please click ACCEPT button, otherwise I'm not credited for my help. Thank you! Feel free to continue the discussion with me, even after clicking ACCEPT. Warm regards,

Kristin

Kristin, Counselor
Experience: Psychotherapist and Relationships Expert with 11+ years exp. Dating, Relationships, Marriage.