psychlady, Counselor
Experience:  I have over 16 years experience in treating adults presenting with a variety of relationship issues

My parents were planing to take a trip to california disney

My parents were planing to take a trip to california disney with my daughter (9 yrs), quite a trip for them. they decided this on their own and had me get all the details for them. They are nervous travelors. Last year I went with them. I am married and have a house now, and 4 dogs. My husband is away in the service. They are badgering about me going, and I told them I cant this year because of the house and dogs we got. So now my mother is freaking out on me, saying its my fault they cannot go because my dad and her cannot travel alone, because they are nervous, and why can't my husband come home watch the dogs, or my friend come over 3x a day to let my dogs out. I tried to tell her its not fair I didnt come up with this idea, why does it rest on me. She starts yelling at me saying if you argue with me I'll hang up on you. What is going on?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  psychlady replied 5 years ago.
Sometimes family take each other for granded and then become indignant when things don't turn out the way we want them to. You can only stand your ground because once you give in she will expect you to do so every year. Neither will she ever travel alone. I hope that a trip is not a reason to stay mad foever. Try to offer her other solutions although she may not accept them. There has to be a compromise. The more consistent you are in your not wanting to go the more it forces them to go and see there is no danger in traveling alone.