Cathy
Cathy, Counselor
Experience:  Ms, MS.Ed., thirty years clinical practice
25773729

I am 18 years old and a male, and my fianc e is 16 and 8 months

Customer Question

I am 18 years old and a male, and my fiancée is 16 and 8 months pregnant with our son. We live in separate households, but wish to move in with one another over the summer. She was going to give me custody of our son because she does not feel as if her family has the right environment for raising a baby. We have been together for 19 months, and not once have either of us been unfaithful and we wish to both be together forever. I have good credit, a job, and all of the baby stuff. She has none of that. Her mother (who is the sole guardian and custodian of her) is perfectly fine with us being together and living together and the baby, but does not believe in a 16 year old girl becoming married. We are both in high school, me a senior, and her a junior, and both of us have great grades. We wish to become married without having the consent from her mother. Do you feel as if it is likely or unlikely that a district court judge will give permission for the under 18 marriage without consent?
Submitted: 5 years ago via USmarriagelaws.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Cathy replied 5 years ago.

Hi and thanks for writing JA

Thanks for writing. You know it all depends on which state you live in. Different states have different age limits and regardless of your circumstances those are the laws the judges rule by.

Would you like me to check what the age limit is in your state? I am happy to do so. Just let me know which state you live in.

Let me know if you have more questions on this as I am happy to help you further.

Warm regards,

Cathy

Edited by Cathy on 2/6/2011 at 5:18 AM EST