psychlady, Counselor
Experience:  I have over 16 years experience in treating adults presenting with a variety of relationship issues

hi, i am in love with this guy he is 29 and im 24, this year

Customer Question

hi, i am in love with this guy he is 29 and i'm 24, this year at august it will be our five year anniversary. we met while we were at tertiary, now we working in the same area. ever since i met him he had a drinking problem i have been through a lot of turmoil because of that drinking. he would miss school and work. i have been praying and believing God for these guy to get born again. i love him a lot when ever i try to break up with him because of these lifestyle i don't have enough strength. he also tried to break up with me because he always does stupid mistakes. he keeps on saying he wants to change and be a christian but it he is not ready. i'm always stressed, i always forgive. i know the obvious answer will be to break up with him but it's so painful to break up, i feel like he is already a part of me. but i always told myself and him that the only marriage we going to have is a christian, spiritual marriage. pls help
Category: Relationship
Expert:  psychlady replied 5 years ago.
There are ways to resolve this and still keep you marriage in tact. He can participate in any number of treatments that could eliminate his drinking and explore why he is drinking. There is also additional support that can be gained through Alcoholic Anonymous - there is even a spiritual component to AA that you may find comforting. I would immediately look for treatment in your area and as the partner support this participation. You can find a meeting in your area and AlAnon for yourself. You don't have to choose between a husband that drinks and divorce. You can use the dedication you feel to make life better. You can also ask your pastor to help or seek marriage counseling. Make a fresh start today to work on the relationship with a clean partner

Edited by psychlady on 2/5/2011 at 8:22 PM EST