psychlady
psychlady, Counselor
Experience:  I have over 16 years experience in treating adults presenting with a variety of relationship issues
52358615

My boyfriend and I have been together for 2.5 years. He recently

My boyfriend and I have been together for 2.5 years. He recently broke up with me because he has feelings for someone else (at his job) and wants to see where things go between them. He works 14+ hour days (I know this because I met him at work and then quit last year).

Although our conversation during the breakup was a civil one, I am extremely hurt. I've read in several places that I should not communicate with my ex and to give him time and space but his birthday is XXXXX up. My first question is: Should I wish him a Happy Birthday via email? Second question is: How much time/space should I give him...not that I am going to wait forever.
Sorry about your situation. It is appropriate and sometimes healthy to give someone space, but only to a point. Don't give them so much space that your life becomes on hold subject to their decisions and whims. When you feel it is time to move on, and your heart and brain says this is so, then by all means let this relationship go. You have to think of your happiness and that may require working towards letting this go. You should pursue your own romantic interests when you feel you are ready to become part of the dating scene but yourself time first. As far as his birthday, there is nothing wrong with sending an email and wishing him a happy birthday. Keep it brief and don't use it as a way to comment on your relationship. He will be thinking of you just because you remembered his birthday.