psychlady, Counselor
Experience:  I have over 16 years experience in treating adults presenting with a variety of relationship issues

what is the rate of domentic or violence against women, what

what is the rate of domentic or violence against women, what are the common causes and what can those being abused do?
I would have to research the exact rate but I am always cautious to even believe this possible rate. I say that because the underreported incidents that occur in my opinion make the statistics unreliable and just plain inaccurate. Women tolerate and do not report violence for a multitude of reasons which may include fear, believing he will change, financial dependence, and believing that the children will be effected more by the separation than the violence. Sometimes it is just having their self esteem crushed by years of abuse.

The causes are just as varied. Men who abuse can suffer from low self esteem that they project onto their partners. Believe it or not, men with a poor self image of themselves often take this out on their family. Men also with no coping skills in life perpetuate violence on others for their own shortcomings. Another reason is an impulsive nature that can lead to drug abuse or violence. The partner is simply the target of their future not the reason. The partner is never the reason!

I always encourage the partner to first seek help. There are a multitude of agencies and resources out there that will guide you through the process of leaving. It is dangerous for women at this stage to leave and assistance can be life saving. Have a safe plan to leave especially if you have children. Don't stay if it has gotten to this point. After you are safe, then get counseling as soon as possible.