psychlady
psychlady, Counselor
Experience:  I have over 16 years experience in treating adults presenting with a variety of relationship issues
52358615

me and my girlfriend of 2 years are going thru a rough patch

Customer Question

me and my girlfriend of 2 years are going thru a rough patch she left for a few days to stay at her moms to decide on our future. Shes have issues with me having a son from a prior relationship hes only 7 and has a hard time showing affection. so she thinks that it hampers our relationship to the next level. she said she loves me tons and tons but doesn't know if she can get over it. So thru the last month or so its been really rough. I caught txtin a guy which i confronted her on and she said it was just attention cause she was scared of what was going on with our relationship. and that she wanted to move out together. so i told yea i would im game for anything thats keeps our relationship intacked. Its only been like a day and half since she left with minimal communications. what do i do just let her be and not talk to her or try to fight for our relationship.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  psychlady replied 5 years ago.
Since it hasn't been that long, it seems that you can now work on things that would strenthen your relationship. Communication is always first so try to find time to talk to her without pushing. She may just need time to think and this doesn't mean everything is over. Give her space but still show her you care and want to remain with her. This is a good time to compromise especially about child. It is hard for some people because maybe they aren't kid people or it reminds them of another relationship. But this is a solvable problem that can be resolved. You may have to start the contact as a family slow but this is fixable. Offer to compromise so that she doesn't feel so pessured into dealing with a child. Assure her that compromise is possible and she is not expected to be a second mom. She may just feel insecure about her parenting skills. Offer understanding and a desire to meet her where she is comfortable. If she wants time, you have no choice but to give it to her but that doesn't mean it is over either