TherapistMaryAnn, Counselor
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues

Help - high school girl drama!!

Customer Question

<p>My daughter is 18 and is having problems w/ her friends. She is a senior & is apart of a cheer squad. She hangs out with a very diverse group of girls as some are cheerleaders and some are not. She gets picked on from time to time by some the girls by them making comments to her. To keep the peace, she doesn't fight back as she doesn't want to be viewed as a "bitch" so she takes it in and gets her feelings hurt. With this going on within the group, she has slowly withdrawn from the group by being very quiet when she is around everyone. My daughter still gets invited to group functions, however, feels like she doesn't fit in anymore. They would make comments on her talking too much or saying silly things, how she dresses up all the time and the fact that she has to study for her grades. Over time, these comments have hurt my daughter within and she feels like she doesn't have too many friends and doesn't belong apart of the group anymore. Unfortunately, the school is very clicky and it is hard to make new friends outside of the group. The sad part is my daughter is very outgoing and social and loves to have fun. I just think over time she has been an easy target and they like to poke at her which I think has affected her self-esteem. How can she overcome the high school girl drama? I told her to reach out to them and act like nothing is wrong. If she doesn't each out, then they are not going to reach back. But, if they are ugly to her, what can she do? How can she find a balance where she can handle herself and not be ridiculed? She is in a tough spot and as a parent, I feel her pain. I know girls, in general, can be cruel and she assures me she is not behaving in that manner towards her friends. Any guidance would be appreciated.</p>
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Walt-mod replied 5 years ago.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Category Moderator on JustAnswer.

Thanks for your question! This is not a request for more information and I apologize if this message caused you any confusion.

I'm sorry that you haven't received an answer yet. Most questions are responded to within the hour, but this can depend on different factors, including the difficulty of your question, how many questions are being posted by customers, whether or not this type of question can be answered in an online forum and how many Experts are on the site at the time your question posts.

I will go ahead and try to find an Expert to assist you with your question and appreciate your patience. You will receive an email notification when an Expert replies to you, just as you did here. Unfortunately, I can not guarantee a time-frame for which yours will be answered and I apologize a head of time if the wait is longer than expected.

Please do not reply to this message unless you do not need further help. If that is the case, please let me know and I can assist you with that. When you reply, it locks out the question from the Experts and will slow down their response time to you. If they need more information, they will let you know.

Please remember that if you get a satisfactory answer from your Expert to click the green accept button so the Expert is compensated for a job well done. Positive feedback is appreciated by them also. :)

If you have any questions regarding deposits or billing, please feel free to use the help link below:

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Nevermind about the request. Please cancel question and delete charge setup for credit card. If an expert can't respond by now, it is not worth it at this point. I will figure it out through other channels.

Teri Evans