Suzanne
Suzanne, Therapist, LCSW
Experience:  Experienced in treating trauma, relationship issues, co-dependency
32195369

So my girlfriend completely blindsided me on Monday with a

Customer Question

So my girlfriend completely blindsided me on Monday with a breakup.

I've started smoking again and have been in a drunken stupor for the last 60 hours.

But, she did agree to meet me last night to talk about some things. Here's a quick background about her:

-- She has problems. Like, pretty severe mental health issues. Recently diagnosed as bi-polar.
-- In March her ex-boyfriend of over a year cheated on her and completely broke her heart. I know that she isn't over it, but I didn't care at the time we got together (July).
-- I met this girl three years ago and knew from the beginning that she was the girl I needed to be with. But used to be way too shy to ever make a move, hence the ex-bf that cheated on her.
-- I seriously love this girl.
-- Her parents recently got divorced and she is going to start going to a daily mental health treatment facility soon (all on her own accord).

I know that the first thing a lot of people think when they read that a girl has legit mental health issues to just say "forget it, not worth it, etc" but I think this chick is amazing and the heart wants what the heart wants.

So last night she explained that she jumped into our relationship too quickly, and that she needed to be single because she was getting too codependent on me.

I asked her if there's a shot for us to get back together in the future and she said she didn't know, but she really needed me as a friend right now, and we agreed that through the entirety of our relationship we had really morphed into each others best friends as well as lovers.

I promised her that I would take her issues more seriously if she'd let me, and that I would do anything she needs me to do in order to help her get "better", even if that means giving her tons of time and space.

I've dated a number of women, but this is easily the one I have felt the strongest about. I really don't want to give up on her yet, and asked her not to completely "quit" on us yet, but she said she needed to get over me.

But then she kissed me. A lot. And told me she wanted to sleep with me again. And told me how much she misses me and that she's still in love with me, and that she "needs" me. But she doesn't want to "need" me, or anyone else for that matter. She wants to stand on her own and be independent. She said that we needed to take a week away from even seeing each other, and we have made plans to go to a Christmas pageant-type thing together next Thursday, and have agreed to spend New Year's Eve together (just the two of us).

I called her later to apologize for what had happened, and again reassured her that I would do, or not do, anything for her. She asked me not to have sex with her even if she throws herself at me anytime in the near future.

It's obvious that she's very confused, and I am genuinely more concerned about her well-being more than I am us getting back together. But, I obviously really really really want us to get back together.

Any insights?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Walt-mod replied 4 years ago.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Category Moderator on JustAnswer.

Thanks for your question! This is not a request for more information and I apologize if this message caused you any confusion.

I'm sorry that you haven't received an answer yet. Most questions are responded to within the hour, but this can depend on different factors, including the difficulty of your question, how many questions are being posted by customers, whether or not this type of question can be answered in an online forum and how many Experts are on the site at the time your question posts.

I will go ahead and try to find an Expert to assist you with your question and appreciate your patience. You will receive an email notification when an Expert replies to you, just as you did here. Unfortunately, I can not guarantee a time-frame for which yours will be answered and I apologize a head of time if the wait is longer than expected.

Please do not reply to this message unless you do not need further help. If that is the case, please let me know and I can assist you with that. When you reply, it locks out the question from the Experts and will slow down their response time to you. If they need more information, they will let you know.

Please remember that if you get a satisfactory answer from your Expert to click the green accept button so the Expert is compensated for a job well done. Positive feedback is appreciated by them also. :)

If you have any questions regarding deposits or billing, please feel free to use the help link below:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help

Best,
Walter
Moderator
Expert:  Suzanne replied 4 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.