Suzanne, Therapist, LCSW
Experience:  Experienced in treating trauma, relationship issues, co-dependency

I accidentally told this guy that I loved him. Weve only

I accidentally told this guy that I loved him. We've only been dating for approximately 3 months, which I know is way too soon. I like the guy, but not in love with him. I was in a hurry to get off the phone with him when out came the dreaded "I Love you" out of nowhere. I usually say that to my mom before getting off the phone and I guess it just came out-just like that. The problem: After the "I Love you" I froze (stayed quiet), he remained on the phone silently then responded "I Love you too." I quickly said "got to go, we'll talk later" and hung up. A week ago he confessed to me that he has very strong feelings towards me and his "I Love you too" sounded very sincere, almost as if he were happy and relieved to hear those words come out of my mouth. How do I explain my unintended outburst without hurting his feelings?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Walt-mod replied 5 years ago.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Category Moderator on JustAnswer.

Thanks for your question! This is not a request for more information and I apologize if this message caused you any confusion.

I'm sorry that you haven't received an answer yet. Most questions are responded to within the hour, but this can depend on different factors, including the difficulty of your question, how many questions are being posted by customers, whether or not this type of question can be answered in an online forum and how many Experts are on the site at the time your question posts.

I will go ahead and try to find an Expert to assist you with your question and appreciate your patience. You will receive an email notification when an Expert replies to you, just as you did here. Unfortunately, I can not guarantee a time-frame for which yours will be answered and I apologize a head of time if the wait is longer than expected.

Please do not reply to this message unless you do not need further help. If that is the case, please let me know and I can assist you with that. When you reply, it locks out the question from the Experts and will slow down their response time to you. If they need more information, they will let you know.

Please remember that if you get a satisfactory answer from your Expert to click the green accept button so the Expert is compensated for a job well done. Positive feedback is appreciated by them also. :)

If you have any questions regarding deposits or billing, please feel free to use the help link below:

Expert:  Suzanne replied 5 years ago.

This is a touchy situation!

I think that since he responded to your "love you" with a sincere expression of his feelings, it's going to be hard to "take back" what you said without him feeling somewhat foolish.

If this is a man you do care about, but just aren't ready for the L word with....

Would it be possible to say something like "I spoke somewhat impulsively the other day. We're still early in the relationship, and it's important to me that we take things slowly. I care about you, and my feelings for you grow each day. But I don't want to put a lot of pressure on the relationship at this point. Let's wait a bit longer before we take the step of talking about or defining our feelings, okay?"

Hope that gives you some ideas of how to smooth out the awkwardness --I think it communicates in a way that won't make him feel foolish for having responded.

I wish you the best!

Suzanne, Therapist, LCSW
Experience: Experienced in treating trauma, relationship issues, co-dependency