DrEscoto, Psychologist
Experience:  I am a licensed clinical psychologist who specializes in working with children and families.

I have a close friend who keeps doing things that irritate

Customer Question

I have a close friend who keeps doing things that irritate me and cause me to get angry. She always leaves when my boyfriend is here because she does not like him and he does not like her. Sometimes she will go to her friend's apartment, which happens to be next door to mine. I am in a very emotional rollercoaster of a relationship with this friend and I have my own personal issues with mother figures and abandonment. I let this woman yell at me, dictate to me, and practically live in my apartment. Sometimes I feel like I am losing my mind. Every day I ask myself if this is worth it. Yet she is like the mother I never had, very caring and very loving, just incredibly controlling and bossy. She never listens to me when I try to talk to her about any of this. Any advice?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  DrEscoto replied 5 years ago.

DrEscoto :

In every relationship there should be at the foundation...respect. When you describe this woman it sounds like she does not respect you nor do you respect yourself because you choose not to set boundaries to eliminate the way she treats you. Perhaps there is mother issues and issues of loss in your life, so put those words and the knowledge of that into action to prevent yourself from repeating the past. Set boundaries with her and others. You are worthy of being treated like an adult but as an adult you must learn to set limits with others otherwise you become a human rug that is always being walked over. Good luck.