Dr Rossi
Dr Rossi, Licensed Psychotherapist
Experience:  Certified Hypnotherapist, Author, 13+years of experience.

I have been with my partner for 4 years and I love him so much.

I have been with my partner for 4 years and I love him so much. 3 days ago he said he wanted to just be friends as he doesnt love me like he used to. Then not even 24hours later he came to me saying he has made a terrible mistake and doesnt know what he would do without me. He says his head isnt clear at the moment and doesnt want to loose me. He has done this to me before so I told him that this was his last chance and if he did it again I am gone. He tells me that he loves me and needs a few days to think as his head is not clear right now and he doesnt want to get back into this relationship full force and then do this again to me. We were living together (and had been for 5 months) I have moved back home for now and we said if it was going all ok in a months time we would move out together again. He has also mentioned that the place we were sharing was too small (and it was, I had mentioned to him that if we didnt move I would have to move out as I hated it there and he does too) and he thinks and I kinda agree that the two of us living together in this place wasnt good for our relationship and he says that the place stresses him out. I dont know what to do. Should I give him the time to think? Should I break it off now seeing as he doesnt seem to be able to know if he wants to give it another go? Im so confused.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr Rossi replied 3 years ago.

Of course you're confused. He's giving you mixed messages. If you truly believe that his behavior of his will go on for the next 4+ years, and he won't address his problem causing it, then it makes sense that you would want to break it off.

He may be talking about the space of the place and other things that are secondary to his own feelings and words towards you. It could be a defense mechanism not wanting to address the real issue.

Dr Rossi, Licensed Psychotherapist
Experience: Certified Hypnotherapist, Author, 13+years of experience.