Dr Rossi
Dr Rossi, Licensed Psychotherapist
Experience:  Certified Hypnotherapist, Author, 13+years of experience.

I am 43 and have been dating a new guy. We have had sex twice,

Customer Question

I am 43 and have been dating a new guy. We have had sex twice, including oral sex two days ago. I just yesterday got my first cold sore ever. I am told this is herpes, though not the genital kind. I am told that I can give to to him, though.

It is my first one. I have not been with any other guys in almost two years. I know my guy has been with two other women recently. He did not have any outward signs of herpes, though.

IWhat is the best way to discuss this with him? I only see him uusally on weekends. Would you suggest waiting until we are face to face. I want to address it with him without assigning blame, just tell him the facts and let him decide what to do. How do I tell him this?

Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr Rossi replied 5 years ago.

this is definitely something to talk about face to face. Before you initiate the conversation, you would want to make sure you know what sort of herpes is it that you have and what are the treatment options for it. Is it the cold sore herpes which is contagious and can remain dormant in the body, but it is not an STD or is it something else.

You can start by telling him that you've had a cold sore and you know that they are highly contagious. Ask him if he had had any problems himself with that and then take it from there.

If the herpes outbreak is not sexually transmitted, then there won't be any point at this time to talk about that.