Dr Rossi
Dr Rossi, Licensed Psychotherapist
Experience:  Certified Hypnotherapist, Author, 13+years of experience.

My significant other says to me she is not happy with herself

My significant other says to me she is not happy with herself and feels she can't contribute to the relationship anymore because of it. She wants to move away and be by herself for a while. She can't say if she still loves me or not until she figures things out. However she needs me to support her financially until then.

Is the relationship over and she is using me until she is financially set or do I wait for the decision?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr Rossi replied 5 years ago.

She can "find herself" without the need for moving away. If she is not happy with herself and does not know if she loves you are two different issues. They do not have to be connected.

What you suspect may be the case- she's seeking a way to severe the relationship but profit from it while she figures how to manage financially on her own. You can offer to help her buy food for a few weeks; that is fair but, paying for anything beyond that would be taking advantage of you.

She will need to tell you what her plan is- how is she going to work on herself. Is she going to go to a counselor, engage in introspection and resort to self help materials, etc. She needs to also tell you during what time frame should you expect this to take place.