Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney
3396227

Im thinking about divorcing my husband. He own his bissiness

I'm thinking about divorcing my husband. He own his bissiness but I don't want anything from it, I just want him to help me to start a new life. What can I expect?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dr.RossiD replied 6 years ago.

Do you want relational feedback or legal advice? Your question had posted in the relational section.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi

I need legal advice.

Thanks

Expert:  Dr.RossiD replied 6 years ago.
Ok. I will move your question to that section.

Edited by Dr Rossi on 11/16/2010 at 4:35 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 6 years ago.

Dear JACUSTOMER - If you file for divorce you can expect the court to make an equitable division of property. I know you say you don't want the business however you will most likely be awarded some percentage of the value of the business in other assets. If you own a home you will be able to share the equity of that and, depending on the length of the marriage and the respective incomes of your and your husband you may be entitled to alimony or spousal support.

If there are children involved there will be the issues of custody and child support. I would suggest that you get a consultation appointment with a local lawyer to review your options. You don't have to retain the lawyer for the actual divorce but you can at least get an idea of where you stand based on your specific facts. I can only answer in general from this website and cannot tell you specifically what you may receive in the divorce.

Dave Kennett

Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience: 25 years experience as practicing attorney