Dr Rossi
Dr Rossi, Licensed Psychotherapist
Experience:  Certified Hypnotherapist, Author, 13+years of experience.

Is it a bad idea to date other people during a trial separation

Customer Question

Is it a bad idea to date other people during a trial separation? I started seeing a guy about a month before I got separated and we have been dating since the separation (I moved into a condo about three weeks ago). I really like this guy and suddenly after two years of marriage and several years of not having any desire for sex, I constantly want to smile, cuddle and have sex with this new man. I feel really happy when I am with him and really do not think of my husband, I am trying to decide if I should go back to my husband or if this may be some sort of "rebound" relationship? I don't want to throw away seven years but I feel like I have't been happy in a while and I am not sure how to come to a final decision?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr Rossi replied 5 years ago.

There is nothing inherently bad in the decision. What would matter is on what terms did you and your partner agreed prior to the trial separation.

Any new relationship feels excited as you learn about your new partner. With time though, the in love stage wears off and you find yourself in more of a predictable routine as the two of you get comfortable with one another. It may be those two things that you're comparing b/w your husband and this new man.

Before making any big decisions, give it some time, think about the pros and cons of a divorce, what the trial separation is supposed to accomplish and what you really want in the long term, whether with this man, your husband or someone else.