Dr Rossi
Dr Rossi, Licensed Psychotherapist
Experience:  Certified Hypnotherapist, Author, 13+years of experience.
19260254

I am a 28 year old female and happly married for 4 years now

I am a 28 year old female and happly married for 4 years now and have 2 year old daugther. My husband and I are very close and always do things together. The problem is I have worked my way up in the corporate world and finally have my dream job and can afford anthing we want. The problem is my husband cant find his dream job in the same city. He was recently offered an opportunity of a lifetime in another city about 400km away from home. He suggested that I should leave my job and we move with him. I love my current job and it will take me at least another 5 years to get this position again in another big city. We also dont believe that our marriage will work if we have a long distance relationship. I am very comfortable where I am and hate the big city as it is too fast for me. My husband loves the big city and he will be earning more than what he is earning now. Please help. I am so confused.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr Rossi replied 3 years ago.

Compromise whether on his end or yours may be needed. Your confusion may stem from fear that you may not find something else, not wanting to lose what you've worked for, not wanting to part with your responsibilities especially if they are an ego booster besides offering a good monetary compensation.

Your husband may be feeling uncomfortable that you're earning more than he is at this moment.

Jobs and titles/roles change through life. When making a decision look at the bigger picture- what would benefit everyone in the family, what are the prospects that these jobs are "secure", what would the commute to work be elsewhere, what is living cost in a larger city, how are the schools/day cares, etc.

Change is constant in life. What people find security and comfort in does not necessarily last forever. When the priority is the family, how each partner is able to adjust and compromise to changes is going to remain vital to any decision that you undertake.

Dr Rossi, Licensed Psychotherapist
Experience: Certified Hypnotherapist, Author, 13+years of experience.