Suzanne
Suzanne, Therapist, LCSW
Experience:  Experienced in treating trauma, relationship issues, co-dependency
32195369

In Newton Co., GA. is there a common Law For a Lesbian Relationship

In Newton Co., GA. is there a common Law? For a Lesbian Relationship? I lived with her for over 10 1/2 years, and I was kicked out by her, not the Landlord. What rights do I have? I still have some of my personal belongings there and some pets and they have threatened to throw my stuff outside and put my animals in the pound.

Sincerely,

Heather W. Bowers
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Suzanne replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for writing to Just Answer.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but Georgia does not recognize common law marriages anymore, and unfortunately, common law marriage does not apply to lesbian couples. Here is a link to information about common law marriages: http://www.gadivorceonline.com/gapages/Alimony/commonlawmarriage.asp

Is there a neutral third party that could go with you when you go pick up your pets and belongings? It would be good to have a witness, as well as to help keep things calm. If you can't care for your pets right now, contact an animal rescue organization in your area, and ask if they have any "foster parents" that could care for the animals until you get settled. I was able to find a local animal rescue in your area: http://www.adoptapet.com/adoption_rescue/71096.html

It's hard enough breaking up a relationship, but being threatened with the loss of your animals is just cruel. I hope this helps you find a safe home for them until you can take them with you.

Suzanne