Jennifer, School Psychologist
Experience:  Extensive experience fostering family relationships through consultation / counseling.

In a relationship, isnt it necessary to be able to communicate

Customer Question

In a relationship, isn't it necessary to be able to communicate honestly and respectfully XXXXX XXXXX and tell honestly how you are feeling?

I follow all the standard rules of good communication (listening, empathy, compromise etc.) but if I broach an issue with my gf, she gets very defensive and tells me she doesn't know how much more she can take. This makes me feel guilty and scared of expressing myself in way that might contradict her even though I don't mind if I don't get what I wanted, it's the feeling of being listened to and understood that I want and compromise isn't a problem.

She thinks I am a bad bf becasue of this. What can I do?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Jennifer replied 5 years ago.

I am just honest and ask directly what I want. Sometimes I am annoyed but I don't get angry etc. I am calm and I always listen to what she ahs to say.

What would be the wrong way to approach these conversations?