Dr Rossi
Dr Rossi, Licensed Psychotherapist
Experience:  Certified Hypnotherapist, Author, 13+years of experience.

i moved out of my boyfriends three mths ago, we still see each

Customer Question

i moved out of my boyfriends three mths ago, we still see each other, but he says i want more. i met him of march last yr and after christmas sold my house and transferred my job to be with him, i now live an hr away from family and friends, things got quite bad after a few mths living together, his children and my children from our first marriages were the main issues and me being quite headstrong, ended up with us rowing, we still have alot of feelings for each other, but he is quite happy to have his space and me mine, i asked him what he wanted from me and he said that he wanted friendship, a campanion and a lover, we trust each other and he is very loyal to me, i find it very hard without him by my side and would give anything to move back in with him, but at the moment its to soon, i feel if we rushed into things to quickly and now this has happened, i wish i could turn the clocks back, do i carry on with this relationship or give up, we are in our fourties and sometimes i think life is to short, but i will wait for him when he is ready for us again, karen
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr Rossi replied 5 years ago.

Hi Karen,

If you do not share common goals with one another, then it would be reasonable to move on. As long as you are holding onto hope that he may change, you'd remain confused as to how to act.

think about - would things have been different if he did not have kids and parental responsibilities, what do you want and need from him? What are your expectations of his role in your life? He has indicated to you that he does not want any big attachments or responsibilities at this time. How long would you be willing to wait to see if he changes?

Only you would be able to decide how to proceed based on the realistic/factual aspects of the relationship, who is willing to compromise, and long term expectations- where do you want to be in 5 years, 10 years+