Dr Rossi
Dr Rossi, Licensed Psychotherapist
Experience:  Certified Hypnotherapist, Author, 13+years of experience.

my ex was really horrible to me so after we broke up I started

my ex was really horrible to me so after we broke up I started to date the kindest guy I knew. He's lovely to me but I just don't feel a spark. Having said that, whenever ive had a spark with a guy there ends up being something diffucult about the relationship. Am I making a mistake being with a guy who I get on brilliantly with but dont fancy very much?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr Rossi replied 5 years ago.

You are not making a mistake. Sparks are temporary at the start of a relationship. You may have more in common with this new man, and that is why you don't feel a spark. Couples that have a better chance of having a longer and healthier relationship are composed of individuals with similar rather than different traits.

The in love feeling makes you feel a spark and it is largely related to biochemical processes in the body such as release of hormones and brain chemicals ex dopamine, serotonin, oxytocin, adrenaline.

You may also have a need for a challenge that you find with other individuals with whom you feel the spark. But, they may not turn out to be the best partners in the long run.

Love can be learned and you can feel a spark with this new man if you allow yourself to.