Angela, Counselor
Experience:  n/a

my boyfriend said last night that he only spends one night

my boyfriend said last night that he only spends one night out the week with me because we fuss everytime we are together. I told him that the reason I am so resentful is because he never wants to spend time with me, he rather hang with friends. I am hurt because he said he doesnt want to fight, and before a argument will begin he kicks me out his apartment. I am so heartbroken and confused. please help!!!
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Angela replied 5 years ago.
Hello my name is Angela.
I am more than happy to assist you with your questions by giving you my honest and respectful opinion.

I think the best place to start is by working on the communication issue in your relationship in order to reduce the amount that the two of you may argue as well as to cause your boyfriend not to ask you to leave because he feels an argument is going to happen. As a result,hopefully he will spend more time with you than just once per week. Healthy and honest communication is the foundation for any relationship and as you have experienced, due to there being a problem in that area of your relationship it has contributed to your relationship breaking down. Therefore, I suggest discussing with him your desire for the two of you to try the below exercise which will help to improve the communication in your relationship:

Both of you can use a self help book as an aide to working on your relationship issue(s). This is an inexpensive option that could improve your relationship if you both agree to do the work. If you purchase a self help book, it is important to designate the necessary time to do this work on a regular basis when the two of you will not be disturbed along with keeping a journal to write down your thoughts and reactions to what you both will read and discuss as you go through the book. Both of you should agree on how much time you want to spend together working solely on this and agree to how often you want to work on it, for example: once a week for thirty minutes, twice a week for thirty minutes, etc. Be sure to keep the amount of time designated for this relationship building exercise at a comfortable level for both of you so that neither of you dread doing this. The above is a healthy process that takes time to do but it can be done if you both commit to it. A few books for you to consider can be found below:

Book 1

Book 2

Book 3 .