Angela
Angela, Counselor
Experience:  n/a
25365872

my wife has a male friend she worked closely with, now he left

Customer Question

my wife has a male friend she worked closely with, now he left the company but still calls her daily and on weekends to talk sometimes up to three times a day, she states it is just friendship since he is from out of the country and he has no family here, she stated he was like a son to her, he is 26 she is 47, is this a healthy thing? i see problems down the road a someone always wants more in any friendship. we have been married for 19years and neither one of us has every had an opposite sex close friend outside of which we both had as a friend
I hate the jealous feeling i have but can't help it. They have gone out to dinner with other friends from work but never alone. not sure how to handle this.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Angela replied 6 years ago.
Hello my name is Angela.
I am more than happy to assist you with your questions by giving you my honest and respectful opinion.

From what you have shared, it is perfectly healthy for your wife (and for you) to have friends of the opposite sex and to spend time with them as long as the relationship remains respectful of your marriage. Also, she has been completely open and honest with you about the relationship and about how if the roles were reversed she would also feel a little jealousy. Jealousy is a perfectly normal emotion and there is nothing wrong with feeling jealous as long as it is handled in a healthy manner (- everyone feels jealous at some point in there relationship). It is when people handle their jealousy in an unhealthy which leads to problems. To further assist you in dealing with your jealousy in a healthy manner you could read a self help book and/or the below articles.

Also, a book I recommended to my clients dealing with similar situations, which they found helpful, can be found by clicking here:.

Also here is a link to various articles on overcoming jealousy to further assist you in dealing with and moving pass jealousy. Click here: