Dr Rossi
Dr Rossi, Licensed Psychotherapist
Experience:  Certified Hypnotherapist, Author, 13+years of experience.
19260254

MY HUSBAND AND I HAVE BEEN TOGETHER FOR 13 YEARS. WE HAVE RECENTLY

Customer Question

MY HUSBAND AND I HAVE BEEN TOGETHER FOR 13 YEARS. WE HAVE RECENTLY GONE THROUGH A BREAK. DURING THAT TIME HE ENDED UP WITH SOMEONE. HE CLAIMS HE HAS A CONNECTION WITH HER, BUT STILL WANTS TO BE WITH ME. HE CANT SEEM TO LET GO OF EITHER. HE FEELS GUILTY ABOUT DOING THIS TO ME. WHAT SHOULD I DO?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr Rossi replied 6 years ago.

you have done a lot for him from what you've shared. What needs to happen is that he takes some responsibility and owns his behavior. Even if you're open to discussing what is on his mind, consulting an objective party such as a marital therapist may be beneficial.

Think about whether or not your own response to him is enabling his behavior. He should be able to make a decision and stick to it. Saying he does not know what to do or what he wants is an excuse. It is easier to digest on your part but is is ultimately unhealthy for the marriage.

Do you believe that he will be open to marital therapy? Realistically what do you want to happen at this point?