How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Cathy Your Own Question

Cathy, Counselor
Category: Relationship
Satisfied Customers: 1436
Experience:  Ms, MS.Ed., thirty years clinical practice
Type Your Relationship Question Here...
Cathy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a 62 year old divorced man living in the SF Bay area,

This answer was rated:

I am a 62 year old divorced man living in the SF Bay area, California.
What is the best way to search for a relationship therapist in this area, and how do I
find some financial support that is not provided by insurance?

I have been single for 15 years and do not wish to make all the same mistakes I made
in my previously married life, but I am interested in establishing a healthy relationship in
the future. I am not actively looking, but am confident that I can meet ladies.
My concern is my inherent nature may attract me to unhealthy relationships.



To find a therapist not covered by insurance, you may want to phone the United Way toll free #211 and ask for the community mental health centers in your area. They serve individuals w/o commercial insurance. There is also free online support groups.

Another option would be to see counselors affiliated with churches as they may have a sliding scale.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My question was specific concerning the area that I live.
As far as I know, there are very few "commercial insurances" that cover relationship
therapy. I am not a member of a church and am not disfunctional nor bothered
by apparent neurosis. I was hoping to get specific information regarding qualified
therapists in the area.
Is the primary way one can find a therapist through personal recommendation
from a friend or acquaintance?
I am sure community service therapists often have their hands full and unless I am
disfunctional or self destructive, I fear I will not get the help I am looking for.

The fact that there are free online support groups was definitely helpful.
Thank you for that

Hi JA Customer and since Dr. Rossi has opted out of your question, I would like to recommend a therapist who practices in San Fransisco Bay area.


Dr. Seth Prosterman has a great reputation and has been practicing for over 25 years. His specialty is relationships and you can reach him at his office. The phone number for Dr. Prosterman is(NNN) NNN-NNNN


I hope this helps and very best wishes to you.


Cathy, Counselor
Category: Relationship
Satisfied Customers: 1436
Experience: Ms, MS.Ed., thirty years clinical practice
Cathy and other Relationship Specialists are ready to help you

Related Relationship Questions