Dr Rossi
Dr Rossi, Licensed Psychotherapist
Experience:  Certified Hypnotherapist, Author, 13+years of experience.

I am 59 she is 50 Were together for just over a year. She

I am 59 she is 50 Were together for just over a year. She moved on. She has made plans with a long distance lover to meet and see where it goes in a month. Is now loyal to only him after meeting out of town at bike week in Ocean City Maryland. We are in Florida. I have severed contact recently

Is it a bad idea to stay friends and in close contact. She was my best friend also. Or will this just be more torture and I will never move on? Pete
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr Rossi replied 6 years ago.

Good Evening Pete,

it may be healthy to try and move on. She had broken your trust and wanting to be friends may be your subconscious hope that one day she comes back.

It is going to be difficult to be able to keep a platonic relationship with an ex partner/lover.

When you're able to move on, having halted contact with her may be beneficial should you meet someone else at some point (they would not feel like they will have to share your attention w/ her)