Dr Rossi
Dr Rossi, Licensed Psychotherapist
Experience:  Certified Hypnotherapist, Author, 13+years of experience.
19260254

I am a 58 yr old male with 3 children in their twenties. The

I am a 58 yr old male with 3 children in their twenties. The youngest still lives with me and is 24 years old and has problems with depression. I have been involved with a widow of 50 for the last 7 years. She has two children 17 and 20 who live with her. I am getting huge pressure from her to marry her, but due to a bad divorce and my daughter who lives with me who would not do well living in a blended family situation I am keen to continue living in separate houses. We holiday together and are known as a "couple". Also I have inherited and earned a lot of money. Between my father and I that took 60 years to build up and I want to make sure that when I die that money goes to my children--it is their birth right.
My partner is a good person but this has become a huge issue with her and it is destroying my qwuality of life.We have broken up twice for 6 months at a time over these issues in the last 4 years. I am happy with the status quo she is not. Please help XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr Rossi replied 3 years ago.

Good Afternoon,

Not sure what the question is that you want to address (mental health/relational or legal)

From a relational/mental health stand point- you should not do anything you do not want to do. If you've been dating her for a while, it is natural that she would have some sort of expectations. What is not natural is for you to give her or entitle her to your money. That is why there is prenuptial agreements.

You also have the issue with your daughter (but you may figure out if you're enabling her by allowing her to reside with you. She's an adult and would have to move on with her life and not overly depend on you. You've got your life to live and enjoy.

Your 24 yol son with the depression (hopefully he is getting help/treatment for that) You're not superman and there comes a time when you do what you want and what makes you happy. It is not healthy to be on the other extreme and just give and give.

Dr Rossi, Licensed Psychotherapist
Experience: Certified Hypnotherapist, Author, 13+years of experience.