Cathy
Cathy, Counselor
Experience:  Ms, MS.Ed., thirty years clinical practice
25773729

My husband was laid off for a year while I was pregnant and

Customer Question

My husband was laid off for a year while I was pregnant and we didn't know how we would survive financially without moving in with our parents. He ended up getting a job as a police officer but that tore me apart. He went to the academy for 9 weeks and we got through it someone with me home with our baby and no family around. I googled about police officers and they get a bad rap for cheating on their wives. My husband was a flirt when we werer dating and I caught him emailing other girls. I hate his job and want to tell him to quit but we don't have any other income b/c I am in school and raising our child.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Cathy replied 4 years ago.

Hi and thanks for writing JA

I am sorry that I missed you in chat. I wish I had the chance to talk to you because I would tell you that just because you read somewhere online that police officers cheat? does not make it so. Police officers do not cheat any more than anyone in any other profession.

I am sorry you are having such a tough time. Most new marriages are rough to navigate and especially when you have children so soon. Do not self doubt and do not read into things that you read on the inter net. I have treated hundreds of police officers, firefighters and other first responders and they don't cheat any more than anyone else. If anything they cheat less due to the sheer numbers (they cannot afford to cheat because they are paid so little).

If you are going to be married you must learn to trust.

If you are going to be married to a police officer you are going to have to learn how to be stronger and more self secure than you have been. There are many many reasons for wives of peace officers to fear for their husbands, but you are the first who did not fear for him, but rather yourself?

Its a very dangerous job and he is risking his life every time he puts on that uniform. I would rethink this whole thing and see what you have missed here?

Warm wishes and do let us know if you have more questions on this so we can best help you

Cathy

Cathy, Counselor
Experience: Ms, MS.Ed., thirty years clinical practice