Dr. Bonnie
Dr. Bonnie, Psychologist
Experience:  Experienced in counseling all age persons on relationship issues.

The guy Ive been dating for the last year and I went away

The guy I've been dating for the last year and I went away for the long labor day weekend. We had an awesome time and things couldn't have been better. We totally connected and talked about out future. On the Tuesday after Labor Day as we got ready to head to work and a long drive back to the airport, he turned very cold and distant.

We were both flying out the following day and had seperate hotel rooms at the airport (we work for the same company). During the drive to the airport he mentioned how excited he was to get a good night sleep and sleep alone. (Granted he hadn't slept the night before well). I was a bit shocked and somewhat hurt. We both live in seperate cities and have a long distance relationship so time together has always been sparce but important. Also during this drive he mentioned that the following week when visiting Atlanta for work (where I live) he isn't going to stay the weekend or an extra night for us to spend time together, rather looking forward to getting back home so he can do laundry and relax before heading out again. He wanted a full two nights at home before heading out again on Sunday. We had talked about him spending the weekend or at least a few nights.

I was really shocked and honestly quiet in return to his comments. I couldn't believe after such a great weekend he would be so distant. I wasn't happy about the decision and voiced my dissappointment. He is now distant and things are quite the same. Very cool. We ended up spending the last night seperately and I was upset when we talked about it. He barely said goodbye at the aiport the following day.

I don't know what to do next. I think discussing it further will push him further away.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr. Bonnie replied 6 years ago.
It sounds like when things get too close he backs away. He may not be ready for a committed relationship. If you ask for clarification of your relationship you may hear what you do not want to hear but if you are wanting committment, he may not be the one for you anyway.