Angela
Angela, Counselor
Experience:  n/a
25365872

2 months ago an older guy that i have known for a while started

2 months ago an older guy that i have known for a while started to show me he was interested. at first i was shocked and a bit thrown off, but after a while, i grew feelings for him. (did i mention he is a neighbor?) I showed i was interested in return, and we would spend quite a bit of time just talking and hanging out. he always came to me in the beginning, and then i started to go to him because i wanted to show him i was as into him as he was with me, but one morning he was very short with me and i decided i would wait to see if he came to me from now on. he didn't. I was told by some friends in the neighborhood that he was a bit of a player, and he was very cranky lately, probably because i didnt sleep with him. he started back with his ex that he broke up with for being too clingy, but about 2 weeks ago, he started talking and flirtting with me again. showing up at other neighbors houses that i was hanging with at the time, and so on. I want to know if i should talk to him about what happened and what he wants, or let things come out on their own. I would really like to talk to him about it, but am nervous that he will think im crazy for asking when we never had a chance to form a "relationship". what should i do?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Angela replied 6 years ago.
Hello my name is Angela.
I am more than happy to assist you with your questions by giving you my honest and respectful opinion.

I understand your concern and since the two of you have been talking already without any discussion about his previous behavior, I would let it go at this time because it would be awkward to bring it up now when the two of you have already resumed talking and you technically haven't established a relationship yet. However, keep his previous behavior in the back of your mind as a yellow caution light as you continue to interact with him and if he behaves in that manner again, then immediately discuss it with him in a casual manner. Also, due to his previous behavior, be sure to make him prove himself to you as the two of you develop your friendship further. For example, as you both flirt, hang out, etc. don't let him go to far with anything until you feel he has prooven himself worthy of your friendship and attention.