Suzanne, Therapist, LCSW
Experience:  Experienced in treating trauma, relationship issues, co-dependency

What is a realistic level of satisfaction in a marriage If

What is a realistic level of satisfaction in a marriage? If I am happy more than half the time is that enough???
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Suzanne replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for writing to JustAnswer.

I guess personally I would aim for 3/4 of the time being satisfied. You didn't give me much to go on here, but (unless he's cheating or being emotionally or physically abusive), when my clients (in my private practice) have vague dissatisfaction with their marriages, it usually turns out that they're not happy with themselves.
They may have thought they'd go back to school someday, but haven't. They may not have developed interests outside the marriage that fill the gaps. No one can fulfill another. It takes two happy, interesting and interested people to make a good marriage.

If its boredom you're feeling, look to making your own life more engaging and interesting. Doing something you enjoy will give you something to talk about, and you will not be looking to him to make things better for you.

I wish you the best as you reach for a higher level of happiness and satisfaction in life,