Suzanne, Therapist, LCSW
Experience:  Experienced in treating trauma, relationship issues, co-dependency

Me and my boyfriend have been together for a month. We have

Customer Question

Me and my boyfriend have been together for a month. We have been happy untill now we have made a promise to not drink or go clubbing for a month the frist week was fine we talked about it making sure we were in the same page.. A week has gone by and its saturday night I call him he txs me his at a wedding that hill call me back he never does, instead I get a call from my homegirl telling me she saw him at the club with a drink in his hand. She confronted him n he pretended not hear just saying to het"I miss my girl". He broke a promise, what should I do?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Suzanne replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for writing to Just Answer.

You've only been together a month, and he's told you three major lies. You decided to stop drinking for a month, and he couldn't make it longer than one week.

He's given you a look at what he's made of--- his word doesn't mean a thing.

The way he acted when your friend confronted him suggests that he is the kind of guy who you will catch in bed with someone else, and he'll tell you it isn't what it looks like.

He's also shown you that he probably has or is well on his way to having a major drinking problem. Most people can go a week without drinking without even missing it.

He wasn't where he said he was, he drank AND he went to a club..three lies, three chances for you to see who he really is, and how he will treat you for the rest of the relationship if you make the mistake of hanging around.

What should you do? Walk away and consider yourself lucky that you got out of it before he had a chance to break your heart. You would never have a moments peace being with a liar. If he's this bad now, it will only get worse as the relationship goes on and he starts taking you for granted (although it sounds like he already is).

I wish you the best in finding an honest man...they're out there!